VINTAGE QUIZ: 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS - Content
VINTAGE QUIZ: 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS
Edmund Gwenn, Natalie Wood in which of the movies below?
For Hicksflicks.com, Friday, Dec. 19, 2014
EDITOR'S NOTE: For a series of movie quizzes in the 1980s that we called "Screen Test," I teamed up with the late William S. Goodfellow, the classical-music critic for the Deseret News and also quite a film buff. This one was published Dec. 23, 1983.
'Tis the night before Christmas Eve, and we've come up with 12 movies that feature Christmas as a prominent setting (there are many more, of course). From the descriptions below can you name each film?
- A young girl who is dying of leukemia wants desperately to dance in "The Nutcracker" before she dies.
- In this frenetic comedy, a racetrack gambler is ordered to pay up or else.
- In the 1940s, a young man wants nothing more for Christmas than a Red Ryder air rifle.
- A wealthy father learns his young son is going to die and tries to improve his relationship with the boy.
- Two French nuns in New England get local people to help them build a children's dispensary.
- Two entertainers fall in love with the same woman after one opens a roadhouse devoted to holiday themes.
- In the Old West, three bandits find a child in the desert whom they decide to raise.
- A man insists he is the real Santa Claus, and eventually must prove it in court.
- Detective Philip Marlowe investigates a murder, with the camera taking his point of view exclusively.
- Two entertainers who were Army buddies turn their old general's failing resort into a yuletide success.
- A prosecutor falls in love with a shoplifter after her trial is postponed.
- Two children enjoy a festive Swedish holiday at the turn of the century, until their father dies.
ANSWERS: 1. "Six Weeks" (1982); 2. "The Lemon Drop Kid" (1951); 3. "A Christmas Story" (1983); 4. "The Christmas Tree" (1969); 5. "Come to the Stable" (1949); 6. "Holiday Inn" (1942); 7. "Three Godfathers" (1916/1936/1948); 8. "Miracle on 34th Street" (1947); 9. "Lady in the Lake" (1947); 10. "White Christmas" (1954); 11. Remember the Night"(1940); 12. "Fanny and Alexander" (1982).